Saturday, December 10, 2016

Lighting The Solstice Shrub


Day 58: When you live alone, it's tempting to dispense with decorating for the holidays. It's a lot of work, especially when you don't expect to have more than two or three drop-in guests (if that!). But traditions are an important part of the human psyche, and even though I don't celebrate "Christmas" in its religious sense, I do mark the Solstice and rejoice in the slow lengthening of daylight hours. For me, the holiday is one of Light, harking back to the first word my infant tongue pronounced: not "mama," not "dada," but "light," clearly and succinctly, and in reference to the full moon.

That said, I can no longer go at decorating full-tilt; I have to take it in stages. Today, I put up the Solstice Shrub (artificial...I refuse to support the killing of trees whether they have been raised for slaughter or not), and strung the lights. I may get a few ornaments on it before bedtime, but the bulk of them will be installed tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment