Thursday, January 19, 2017

In Nature's Hands


Day 98: A lesson from a lichen:

I am in your hands, Mother.
You brought me into this world
And you have kept me thus far in your protection.
You have fed me and sheltered me;
You have taught me and guided me;
My heart and eyes have opened because of you.
I am not more or less than what you made me,
And no greater or lesser than any other of your many parts.
The care with which you hold a raindrop
Reminds me to pass my remaining days
In kindness and consideration of all around me,
And not to forget that we,
Human, rock, bird, tree and all,
Are equally your children.

3 comments:

  1. Geez. I enjoy your posts. I wish our life paths had crossed such that you were my neighbor or friend, what a joy and privilege that would be. I love how you see the world. What a gift--to yourself and others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how did you get that shot?

    It's a beautiful "poem", worthy to be read and enjoyed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone asked me yesterday to explain how I created this image. The lichen had caught my eye while I was hiking, and since I seldom go out without my "macro" filter attached to the camera, I took a close-up, and only discovered the "hands" after I pulled it up on the computer. There was a lot of distraction in the background, so I created a new background using a partially transparent gradient layer over white. I warmed the tone of the gradient slightly, and then since the bright spot wasn't bright enough for my taste, I added an additional sunburst. Once those layers had been merged, I added the image as a new layer and removed all the parts I didn't want. Final touch-up with the eraser took about five times as long as all the previous steps, and when I was finally satisfied with the blend, I merged the layers and saved the image as you see it here.

    ReplyDelete