Sunday, January 22, 2017

Seattle Women's March


Day 101: My readers must forgive a divergence from my customary posts. I have stood apart from politics for fifty years, content to let the mill of government grind out what it will, dealing with its consequences as they sifted down to me on a personal level. We have had good presidents and bad. They have come and gone in turn, and nothing too damaging has been left in their wakes. Good or bad, we have weathered them. None has been unendurable. None has been vile...until now.

 














Yesterday, I marched alongside some 130,000 like-minded people in Seattle in protest against a man who I believe is unfit to be the commander-in-chief of this country, unfit to walk on the same side of the street with people of decency and moral character. I will not enumerate his offenses here; they are widely known and do not bear repeating. I will say in qualification that the vulgarity of his addresses to women have prompted a reaction in the same vein, profanity meeting profanity. I do not excuse that response, but I understand it. Some of the posters and signs I depict here are rude and crude. They come from a broad cross-section of humanity, and not all of us couch our sentiments in polite, cool terms.


I will ask my readers to remember that this was primarily a march for women's rights. For the most part, my lens was trained on the broader scope: human rights and the environment. It is my hope that these images will speak more profoundly than my mere words can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment