Saturday, January 21, 2017

The Photographer's Bane


Day 100: I have spent a large portion of my photographic energies on trying to capture a "field guide" shot of a Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus). I tease my east-coast friends about getting excited over Bald Eagles because here they are common, but those same east-coasters have Chickadees at their feeders daily, almost hand-tame, and I'd gladly trade half a dozen Eagles for just one tiny 'dee who would hold still long enough for a portrait. This, dear readers, is as close as it gets for me. You can see the field markings, but the pose is far from classic. Poor little guy must have dropped the bud!

Black-capped Chickadees frequently hang out with Ruby-crowned or Golden-crowned Kinglets (or maybe it's the other way around). The Kinglets are usually what catches my attention, "popcorning" among alder and cottonwood branches faster than my eye can follow. Trying to zoom in on them is a hopeless task. They are usually at a distance which makes it hard for me to identify a branch, let alone focus on it. Likewise, the Chickadees pop off just as soon as I spot their perches, and the whole congenial flock, Kinglets and Chickadees alike, seldom populate a site longer than five minutes. That said, I still hope to get that classic shot some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment