Sunday, March 19, 2017

A Day In The Life Of A Naturalist

Day 157: I bring you two unrelated photos today because...well, because the sun was shining and I actually got outdoors! It's been a long, wet winter. Of course the most exciting part of today was the return of Porch Parrots, i.e., Evening Grosbeaks. A female scout showed up yesterday and was followed today by two males. Once the flock arrives in full force, their appetites will be indulged throughout the summer, and they're likely to go through at least 500 pounds of black-oil sunflower seed. I simply *must* keep my Porchies happy!


Having done my duty by my avian friends, I set out for Pack Forest with GPS in hand thinking to do double duty, hiking and conducting a survey of invasive plants while I was at it. You want invasive species? I'll give you invasive species! Scotch Broom, English Ivy, English Holly, Foxglove and even a small handful of young Tansy Ragwort kept me busy. It took two hours just to write the report!

No comments:

Post a Comment