Saturday, March 18, 2017

First Day Of Skunk Cabbage


Day 156: Besides being St. Patrick's Day and in my book more importantly, yesterday proved to be the First Day of Skunk Cabbage. As many of you know, this is one of my annual celebrations. This Arum was my mother's favourite flower, and when it came into bloom each spring, she would pick a single blossom and put it in a vase in the center of the dining room table. Its odor is reminiscent of the animal which gives it its common name, but that was no deterrent. In fact, once you have become accustomed to it, it speaks of clean air. Putting aside my mother's custom of plucking the flower, I begin watching the bogs in late February despite not expecting to see yellow until mid-March, but when the first blooms appear, I go hunting with my camera. Yesterday's local specimens were still quite small, so another foray will be in order to a favourite spot by Swofford Pond, this time with rubber boots instead of trainers. Ah, but the sacrifice was worth it to celebrate the First Day of Skunk Cabbage! Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment