Friday, March 17, 2017

Brewer's Blackbird


Day 155: Not the best focus in the world because I was shooting through window glass (dirty). For the last couple of years, these guys have been showing up in the spring and sticking around for a few days or weeks just like their cousins. My initial reaction to their arrival is, "Huh? A cowbird with yellow eyes?" and then I remember they're actually Brewer's Blackbirds (Euphagus cyanocephalus, and yes, I just checked the taxonomy to be sure it hadn't changed). This morning, I had both a male and a female. The female is a rather nondescript dark brown bird with dark eyes. If there is any confusion in your mind when you observe this species, watch the behaviour. Cowbirds have a tendency to look upward, as if inquiring as to whether it's going to rain or whether their companion has seen a flying saucer lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment