Tuesday, March 7, 2017

When Is Spring Coming?


Day 145: Today's interrogative is "When?" as in "When is spring coming?" Of course it could also have been "What?" for "What in the hell is she doing?" or even "How?" for "How did she ever get brave enough to do that?" but I'll just go with "When?" because I keep asking myself "When is it going to warm up?"

The subject of planking came up in a discussion a few days ago. I've only planked once before, and that was in front of the old WDFW building in Morton, and the selfie I took on that occasion so impressed the friend who worked in the office there that he mentioned it to his grandmother, whereupon she planked in a somewhat less public location (a table) so he could get a shot. Technically, planking is supposed to occur in public places; my yard was public enough, with a stream of snow-bunnies and snowplows heading up the road, casting curious glances and possibly making furtive phone calls to the local funny farm to alert them to a potential pickup. The truth of the matter is that it took me four hours to work up my courage to do this, largely because the temperature has risen just enough that the snow has turned to rain and what's in the yard is extremely mushy and wet.

There's a lesson in this, and that is that you can endure almost anything if you only have to do it once. You would only have to do it once if you had thought to take more careful measurements and didn't get your head out of the frame on the first go.

No comments:

Post a Comment