Monday, March 6, 2017

Where'd He Come From?


Day 144: Following the interrogative theme, today's feature is "Where," as in "Where the hell did HE come from?" Please forgive the crummy photos. When you're documenting a Life List sighting, it's important to capture the field markings at any cost. As it was, this White-Throated Sparrow would not come out of the deep shadows in the interior of the contorted filbert long enough for me to get a good shot. Consequently, I've settled for some loss of focus and have done quite a bit of processing to bring him out of hiding. I'm sure Zonotrichia albicollis must have been at my feeders before this, but only today did I notice that...what the heck? Yellow eye stripe? Light-tipped secondaries? Dark beakie? Smudgy tie-tack? Wait...white on the throat? That's not one of my regulars! And thus the photographic chase began, bird in the gloom, me at the open window, snow falling, the house rapidly getting colder. But there he is, and now I know to watch for him in the hopes of obtaining a decent "field guide" image.

No comments:

Post a Comment