Tuesday, April 4, 2017

First Sighting 2017


Day 173: When I went up to Sulphur Creek Falls ten days ago, I was watching for both Trillium and Cardamine blossoms and only saw a few buds of the latter. This week's trip yielded up half a dozen Trilliums although none were fully open. I had to come in from underneath this one (not a problem on the steep slope!), and it was here that I also found one of yesterday's snails, almost entirely concealed by forest duff.

Common names being what they are, the epithet "wake-robin" applies broadly to several different species of Trillium, yet uncharacteristically in a person who prefers the precision of scientific Latin to common usage, the name inspires me with a sense of spring's true return and therefore, it's how I address these lovely lilies when I find them. They are extremely fragile and do not transplant well, but I am favoured by having a few in the wooded strip at the edge of my property. They are not as common in Pacific Northwestern forests as they were in the days of my childhood, days before I was aware of their delicate biology. I am guilty of having picked a few in my youth, and it haunts me that I contributed even in that small way to their decline. Perhaps that's why when I see the first ones each spring, I always share the message: do not dig, do not pick. Your conscience is watching over your shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment