Saturday, July 29, 2017

Deptford Pink, Dianthus Armeria



Day 289: I have found both Deptford Pink (Dianthus armeria) and superficially similar European Centaury (Centaurium erythraea, formerly C. umbellatum) growing wild, but in this case, the Deptford Pinks came in a wildflower seed packet and surprised me by showing up in the area I refer to as the "Barren Wasteland" between my house and garage. I greeted them as I do many of the people I know: by addressing them by the wrong name. With plants but seldom with people, a closer look invariably corrects the error. Deptford's freckles and fringe immediately generated an apology. "Oh, hi, Deptford!" I said, as I offered a much-needed drink of water to the inhabitants of the Wasteland. Deptford keeps company with Coreopsis, Oriental and (persistently) California poppies, white yarrow (much to my dismay), Sweet William and assorted other drought-tolerant, rather weedy species. I don't much care what grows in the Wasteland, just as long as it puts up some colour. Aggravatingly, the company which packaged the wildflower seed also saw fit to include Bindweed, that white Morning-Glory which strangles anything and everything in its path. I am being diligent about removing it, but have found a few strays which escaped notice climbing up the stems of the Coreopsis. WHY would anyone consider Bindweed a desirable plant? Wildflower mixes often include non-native species which can become invasive, so know what to be watching for when the seeds sprout. As for Deptford, he and his offspring are welcome to populate the Wasteland, pink or not. I mean, who can resist freckles?

No comments:

Post a Comment