Monday, July 17, 2017

Not Quite In Bloom


Day 277: Invariably, the Sundew logs are my first port of call on Lake St. Clair. When I arrived beside them Friday morning, I observed lots of little buds at the ends of the shepherd's-crook stems, some of which showed evidence of white petals at their tips, but no fully open flowers. There also appeared to be a number of spent blooms which should have communicated vital information to me, but in my enthusiasm for the plants, I missed the message entirely. The Aha Moment came several hours later while I was paddling in the arm of the X-shaped lake farthest from my little friends. There were no open blossoms because the blossoms open in the afternoon! By then, my arms and back were too tired to make a return trip (Lake St. Clair has 11 miles of shoreline and I'd covered roughly 7.5 of it). Looks like another sail is in order, not only to pluck the Jewelweed from its anchorage but to capture the elusive flowers of Drosera rotundifolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment