Sunday, July 16, 2017

Spotted Jewelweed, Impatiens Capensis


Day 276: I suspect that many of you are going to react to this photo with thoughts along the lines of "My, what a pretty flower." Put those thoughts out of your head. This is Spotted Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis), one of the Invasive Plant Council's "bonus plants," i.e., those which are on the hit list because of their potential, but aren't yet a major problem. How it got seeded on a log twenty feet out from shore in Lake St. Clair is open to speculation, although its dry seed pods are notorious for ejecting their contents with some force if even lightly bumped, a factor which allows it to spread rampantly. It was not the type of surprise I enjoy finding during a kayak trip, but once I find out how it can be removed most effectively, I have an excuse to go for another paddle on my favourite lake. Take that, Jewelweed! You're creeping just a little too close to my precious Sundews!

No comments:

Post a Comment