Thursday, July 27, 2017

Ranunculus Aquatilis Var. Diffusus


Day 287: Tentatively identified as Ranunculus aquatilis var. diffusus (White Water Crowfoot), this teeny-tiny treasure was another score from Arnie and Crow's bog adventure. The flower in the main image is imperfect; there should be five petals like those shown in the inset (lower right), but I could not capture the moss-like foliage with a perfect blossom. This aquatic species has thread-like, filamentous leaves on the portions of the plant which are submerged, so very different from the leaves above the water that they appear to be two different types of plant. In fact, the submerged leaves resemble those of the invasive Fanwort (Cabomba caroliniana). If Arnie had not pointed the flowers out to me, I would have dismissed the emergent foliage as a moss. Compare the leaves with the brown Douglas Fir needles in the upper right for size.

3 comments:

  1. The Crowfoot I get, but white (WHITE) water? Looked pretty murky to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or is that not named after you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a double-take on the "white water" as well..."white" for the flower, "water" because it's aquatic, "crowfoot" because I got both mine stuck in the mud...no, forgive me..."crowfoot" for the shape of the leaf!

      Delete