Saturday, August 19, 2017

Up Next, Patience Corner


Day 310: Inspired by a friend's passion for quilting and her enviable ability to turn them out as easily as she'd make a batch of cookies, I picked up where I left off on the Twenty-Year Quilt about two weeks ago and have been making significant progress on completing it. I don't have far to go with the hand-stitching, and once that's done, I only need to add the edge binding. As I've been working, I've been cogitating (a dangerous activity), and a week ago bought eight prints in lime green, followed a few days later by eight more in purple as well as a couple of others I couldn't resist (the grey cats tangled in the rainbow yarn could go anywhere). The layout of the basic Patience Corner block is shown in the inset, each colour representing a different print. Each block will keep to a colour scheme (lime greens, purples, etc.), and I haven't quite decided if I'll put a border around each one so that the finished quilt is broken up into "streets and alleys" or if I'll just butt blocks up against each other. The white squares in the template will be solid, one coordinated colour per block. I plan to reverse the prints used in rectangles and squares when making a second block so that there will be four or five pairs of identical blocks in each colour palette. At this point, I am not sure how many palettes I will incorporate, but blues will be among them. I'm searching for small-repeat cat and crow prints (crows are very hard to find!); "characters" must fit into a 2 1/2" area. I sewed a test block this morning and was happy to see that they go together easily and logically. Still, the phrase "glutton for punishment" comes to mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment