Monday, September 25, 2017

Top Done!


Day 347 (bonus post): The quilt top is done! It measures 70" x 90" (roughly). Now I have to make a judgment call on how to back it. Apparently double-width broadcloth has gone the way of so many good things. I was unable to find it, and since I didn't really want to back the quilt with muslin (natural or white), I bought yardage of the standard 44" width. This means that the backing will have to be pieced, and I need to decide if I want to make squares the same size as the blocks (probably not, because it would make hand-stitching harder where seam allowances stack up), or if I want to use strips or larger rectangles. One side of my head argues that I should just back it with boring old muslin and use the broadcloth for something else. I don't like having seams on the back of a quilt. It's frustrating to be undecided at this point, so close to having it on the hoop and doing the handwork I enjoy most.

No comments:

Post a Comment