Monday, October 9, 2017

Unwelcome Gift


Day 361: Last spring, a friend sent me a packet of mixed wildflower seeds which she had gotten in a box of cereal as part of a nationwide distribution from General Mills. I read the list of species with growing apprehension. Many of the plants listed were considered invasive in some states. I sowed them in the Barren Wasteland (the poor-soil space between my house and garage), figuring to pull out anything I didn't want. The germination rate was very low in any event with California Poppies comprising the bulk of the undesirables. About the only thing I salvaged were a couple of Coreopsis, but tucked in among them was another sneaky-nasty which I missed until recently. I could tell it was a member of the Boraginaceae (borage family) from the leaves and therefore would need to be pulled, but I was also curious about just what evil plants General Mills was wantonly spreading throughout the country. Certainly their plan to help pollinators was ill-formed because many of these plants draw bees and butterflies at the expense of leaving native species unpollinated. Sure enough, when the buds opened a few days ago, I discovered that they had sent out Cynoglossum amabile, aka Chinese Forget-me-nots. If ever there was an unwelcome gift for a gardener, this bright blue bugger is it! Its seed capsules are tiny burrs which attach themselves to socks and pantlegs as part of their goal of world domination. Not on my watch! I've seen your true colours and now you die!

No comments:

Post a Comment