Saturday, November 18, 2017

Galerina Marginalis


Day 36: I think yesterday afternoon's event merits a poisonous mushroom. My computer is on its last legs. It's had issues from Day One, and attempting to replace it at Best Buy when it was less than a week old was a less-than-satisfactory experience. I wound up returning home with it, problems and all, and I suppose I should count myself lucky that it's lasted this long before giving me the Black Screen of Death. In any event, if my blog runs suddenly dry, I ask your patience until I can replace it. I'll catch up, promise.

So...subject here is Galerina marginalis, one of the commonest species to be confused with edible look-alikes. It was formerly known as G. autumnalis, but thanks to DNA tests, it has been recombined with at least two other Galerinas under a single taxon. It can be deadly if consumed in even small quantities, and any other mushroom which has come into contact with it should be discarded. Identify your 'shrooms BEFORE you put them in your basket!

No comments:

Post a Comment