Friday, November 17, 2017

Sphaerophorus Globosus



Day 35: This post of Sphaerophorus globosus (a graceful and beautiful lichen) is in celebration of a new Parkie friend, Sue. She works in Natural Resources and has only recently discovered the joys of lichenology. She has asked me to tutor her (not that I'm an expert!), a proposal which required no arm-twisting for me to agree. Yesterday, we did a short tour of the parking area at Longmire, and following her request, I did not identify anything, but explained what identification points to look for on a number of different species. Then on the way home, I had her make a U-turn in order to show her Usnea longissima, and stretched out a strand of Nature's Christmas garland to show her the "spinal cord" in the middle. It was a rather brief lesson, but there will be many more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment