Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Black-Capped Elusive


Day 53: It's still not the "field guide" photo I'd like it to be, but yesterday I managed to capture this image of the Black-Capped Elusive who has been visiting my feeders for the last couple of days. I am so envious of people who have flocks of gregarious chickadees which seem to be more than willing to sit on their hands. Here, they are flighty and jumpy, and just as you locate one in your viewfinder (mind you, in a tree fifty yards away), by the time your finger has clicked the shutter, your target is gone. I've been trying to sneak a shot through my less-than-spotless living room window glass, but the little bugger takes off if I move the camera even slightly. This photo was taken from my back porch...well, more or less. I was hiding in the kitchen with nothing but the lens sticking out the door. That said, at least I have documentation of Poecile atricapillus in the contorted filbert.

I'm not sure what that means in the long term. Chickadees will not come where Pine Siskins are present, and I generally have Siskins at the feeder. The "dee-dees" live across the road in the brushy band of Ninebark, Chokecherry and Vine Maple behind my mailbox. If they've migrated to the yard, it may mean that the Siskins have moved out. There's no option which allows for both in the same territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment