Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Joppa Flats Hats


Day 54: I like to call this the "Flats Hats Project" (a little word-play, though some of you may not understand the reference to the NPS "flat hat" without this word of explanation). Last week, I learned that the Mass Audubon Joppa Flats Education Center ("Mass" for Massachusetts) has had volunteer knitters working for them for the last several years, producing warm-fuzzies for sale in the Center's gift shop. I had visited Joppa Flats when I was staying with a friend in New Hampshire and was very impressed with their interpretive programs, especially those geared to young people. It occurred to me that this was an opportunity for me to contribute without significant financial burden. I immediately picked up needles and yarn and started working. In the past week, I've turned out five hats and have just started a sixth. When I have 10-12 done, I will mail them off. All proceeds go to support Mass Audubon's bird-banding station.

In these tortured political times, I am driven to do more for the environmental causes which are so close to my heart. While National Parks are obviously suffering under the current administration, smaller conservancies are being hard-hit as their funding organizations are shut down or reduced. Although I don't know that Joppa Flats has been affected, the Nisqually Land Trust certainly has. These smaller environmental groups may be our only hope. Please, if you can, find a way to give them support, even if you knit it.

3 comments:

  1. Crow, we are deeply grateful for your wonderful Flats Hats and your very thoughtful support from so far away! We visited your mountain in the summer of 2016 with a group of our birding supporters and volunteers, and how I wish we could have met you. How lucky we all are to do what we do.... All the best from Joppa Flats on the Merrimack River in Newburyport, Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to be of service! I am encouraging the little people of this country to take it upon themselves to support environmental causes. Joppa and other organizations like it need all the help they can get!

      Delete
  2. Crow, thank you so much for your wonderful Flats Hats! We visited your mountain in the summer of 2016 with a group of birding supporters and volunteers and were just blown away by the beauty. Wish we could've met you! Aren't we so lucky to be doing what we do? Sending all the best from Mass Audubon's Joppa Flats on the Merrimack River in Newburyport, Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete