Monday, January 22, 2018

Stibnite


Day 101: This is a long walk from the realm of Botany, but I've had another relapse and am getting desperate for bloggable material. That said, I've been interested in other sciences off and on since I was a very small child, and geology/mineralogy filled much of my teenage years. I was forever bringing home pocketsful of rocks (an improvement on tent caterpillars, I suppose), and over the course of time, found a number of examples of unusual native materials including several zeolites. However, true to my nature as a Crow, I longed after other shiny objects, and by the time I was in my early 20s, I'd begun a collection of quality thumbnail specimens. A rockhounding friend had an enormous museum-grade stibnite cluster over which I drooled every time I was in her shop. Eventually, I found a stibnite I could afford (according to the price tag, it cost me all of $5). It has remained one of my most prized specimens despite competition from more brightly coloured and showier pieces. It came from Czechoslovakia. Stibnite is a relatively soft (2.0 Mohs) metallic sulfide (Sb2S3) and occurs in long prismatic crystals.


No comments:

Post a Comment