Saturday, March 3, 2018

Baomyces Rufus



Day 141: First let me say that I'm reserving the right to be wrong about this one. I don't have the reagents required to perform certain chemical tests which would confirm the identification, but careful macroscopic analysis would seem to indicate that it is Baomyces rufus rather than Dibaeis baomyces. Additionally, Dibaeis is far less common in the Pacific Northwest than Baomyces, and generally occurs on soil in sunlight whereas this specimen is growing on a shaded boulder. I have observed this particular colony in all seasons now, and have witnessed the apothecia change colour over the months from a translucent pale pink upon initial eruption to a pinkish-brown later in the year. If I could observe the asci under the microscope (a process I haven't really mastered), I might be able to cinch the ID, but that requires remembering to stick a test tube in my pocket so I can take a sample. Maybe another hike is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment