Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Bells, Sticks And Hankies


Day 144: I get one of two reactions when I tell people I'm a Morris dancer. Most commonly, it's "What's that?" but occasionally, I'm rewarded with an enthusiastic, "I love Morris dancing!" and as often as not, that's likely to be followed by, "I lived in England for a couple of years." It surprises me that Morris isn't better known in the US, although I hear that interest is on the upswing. Morris teams are referred to as "sides," and Seattle has several. The group I dance with (Sound & Fury) is a "mixed side," i.e., both men and women. We dance largely in the Adderbury tradition and perform throughout the year with most gigs being engaged during the summer months. Our weekly practices are something I really anticipate, even though I don't get home until almost midnight. Listen! Do you hear bells? The Morris dancers are coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment