Tuesday, August 21, 2018

One Little Petunia


Day 312: "I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch,
An onion patch, an onion patch,
And all I do is cry all day.
Boo-hoo, boo-hoo!
The air is so strong, it takes my breath away.
I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch,
An onion patch, an onion patch,
Oh, won't you come and play with me?"

Modern music seems to have lost the plot somewhere along the line. For the most part, today's lyrics are just variations on a theme, told in different ways depending on the genre. There's even a song about it, the "Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song," a topic which I find eminently uninspiring. Give me the good old tunes like "Purple People Eater," "The Biggest Aspidistra in the World," "I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts," and yes, "Lonely Little Petunia in an Onion Patch." Nonsense is good for the spirit, uplifting when the chips are down.  Does anything on today's radio make you laugh? I thought not. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: the world needs more silly. We are lonely little petunias, each of us, choking on the fumes of the world's onion patches. Let's stop crying and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment