Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Sunflower Buzz


Day 313: Every year, I allow the birds to plant a few sunflowers for their personal use, but of course seeds are not the only crop which arises from their efforts. The bees and butterflies take gainful employment as pollinators, harvesting both pollen and nectar in season. In fact, I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of bee species attending to the work and although I can't identify them specifically, there are a number of different plump, tractable bumblebees labouring side-by-side with the smaller Apidae. The buzz of their industry is an enjoyable background noise in the garden, and sometimes when a fast-moving commuter passes near my ear, I mistake it for one of the competing hummingbirds until it alights in the center of a flower. Busy with their work, they have no time for the human in the garden. There's much to do before the rains and wind return.

No comments:

Post a Comment