Friday, September 21, 2018

A Grape Achievement!



Day 343: A grape achievement! After many years of experimenting with different pruning styles and methods and no grapes to show for it, I finally just threw my hands in the air and walked away with a glare over my shoulder and a cranky comment directed at the vine, "Okay, maybe if I just let you grow wild, you'll give me some grapes." Being ignored was just what the plant needed. It is absolutely loaded with grapes this year, and some of the bunches are ready to pick and eat. The variety is Interlaken, small but seedless, with a flavour reminiscent of Concords. I've never tried making jelly with green grapes, but if any variety would be a good candidate for an experiment, Interlaken would be my choice. So far, I've kept the jays and Bambi and his three friends at bay with netting, although I spent a large part of yesterday evening chasing deer around the yard. For now, though, I'm just going to nibble them. Oh, they are sweet and good!

No comments:

Post a Comment