Thursday, September 20, 2018

Fair Duty Done


Day 342: The Washington State Fair doesn't close until Sept. 23, but my tour of duty in the Park's booth concluded today. I made one last sweep of the fairgrounds, spending most of my time with the sheep and goats. To me, livestock, produce and home arts are what a fair is about, whether it's state or county. I am not interested in the plastic gewgaws hawked from dozens of identical booths, nor do I give even a passing glance to hot tubs, vacuum cleaners, mattresses or wood stoves being sold at "fair" (read, "jacked up") prices. In fact, the Fair has become so commercial that the visitor has to wind through a maze of vendors to find the few true exhibitions. Even a few of those ask an additional entrance fee. That said, the best things in life are still free, at least after you've paid your basic admission. You can see piglets less than 24 hours old, cows, sheep, goats, chickens, horses, dogs, flowers, bonsai, vegetables, photography, quilts, needlearts, craft displays, collectibles...oh yes, there's plenty to do if you can find your way between the food stalls and brightly coloured sucker-bait. My eyes are good at ignoring vendors, but my feet get weary following the circuitous paths which lead from one point of interest to the next. After a few hours of junk-avoidance, I feel like Ms. Angora here, just plain tuckered and ready for a nap. G'night, Fair. See you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment