Wednesday, September 19, 2018

One Last Adventure


Day 341: I don't remember having ever been as deeply affected by a Park Service colleague's announcement as I was when I heard that Arnie is retiring in November, "retiring" as in "leaving Park Service entirely and for good." His wife will also be retiring, and the two of them will most likely move out of state. Arnie has been so supportive of me and of Team Biota, encouraging us, instructing us, guiding us and most importantly, valuing the work we've been doing in the field, hunting down rare plants and fungi. Besides being a good supervisor, Arnie has been a friend, and because of that, he suggested that we try to get in one last hike together while the season will still allow. There was a hint of "Would you take me mushrooming?" in his voice, so we compared schedules and made the arrangements (in my case, asking for half a day off from my regular duties), and today went looking for chanterelles in a spot which has never yet let me down. Today was no exception. We each gathered enough for two nice meals, and because he's never eaten them before, I shared my recipe: fry in butter with a little garlic, add salt and pepper and gobble 'em up! A very special retirement gift is in the works.

No comments:

Post a Comment