Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Chick-a-dee-dee-dee!


Day 17: Having Chickadees (plural) in my yard is so noteworthy that I would like to reiterate: I have at least two, and although I don't see them every day, they show signs of liking it here. I am reasonably certain they are paired; they were investigating knotholes in the fence together, presumably getting an early look at the housing market. Oh, to have baby 'dee-dees next spring! That said, it remains to be seen how their presence will affect the Pine Siskins. The two species generally avoid each other. Last year, I had both visiting the feeders, Siskins alternating with Chickadees on a fairly regular basis. While I was clearing out garden debris this morning, 'Dee-dee flitted back and forth between Harry Lauder and the hopper filled with sunflower seeds, "dee-dee-dee-ing" at me in a friendly conversation and making me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment