Friday, November 9, 2018

Huernia Zebrina, Lifesaver Plant


Day 27: This is the time of year when I struggle to find new material for my daily posts. I find myself wandering pointlessly around the yard, scouting for fungi, patrolling for lichens, desperate for anything noteworthy. I probe the deep recesses of my craft shelves, try to capture cats being silly, but my searches only result in the frustration building when no new or exciting thing reveals itself. And then, where I least expect it, something winks at me. In this case, it was the "lifesaver" eye of Huernia zebrina, hidden among the Zygocacti on the back-bedroom window shelf. Not only did it have one open flower, another one is coming, and several had already dried out and dropped unnoticed, to my utter shame. This cactus makes very few demands of its keeper, just occasional watering and monitoring for mealybugs. Given those requisites, the reward of blooms will be forthcoming. Just don't forget to look!

No comments:

Post a Comment