Saturday, November 10, 2018

Warp Measure


Day 28: The first step in any weaving project (that is, after the pattern has been selected and warp length has been calculated) is to measure the warp threads. I use a warping board for this purpose, first marking off the length of thread with a piece of string wound over the appropriate pegs. Following the progression, the threads are kept in the order in which they will be strung on the loom. At various points during the winding process, I tie off the threads in bunches of 25 or 50, but always at the halfway point so that I can identify the center. When the warp is completely wound onto the board, I tie off the cross (the point at which the threads make an X) and then remove the warp from the board by chaining it, essentially crocheting the massed threads with my hand and arm serving as the "crochet hook." This prevents the threads from tangling when the warp is transferred to the loom.

No comments:

Post a Comment