Thursday, November 1, 2018

In Broad Daylight


Day 19: When Tip began racing from window to window, I figured the local stray cat was prowling the yard again. The neighbour feeds her occasionally, but I shoo her away, not willing to jeopardize my own cats' health by encouraging her to hang around. Even though mine are exclusively "indoor cats," there's still a risk of disease transmission. The neighbour doesn't get it; he has an old "outdoor" cat, and all things considered, I'd be willing to bet she's never been vaccinated for anything (my cats' shots are up to date). As my head turned to watch Tip leap onto the windowsill, I saw that we had another sort of visitor. Normally, the raccoons only come around at night. This one was out in broad daylight (well, Pacific-Northwest "broad daylight," i.e., the gloom in between the raindrops). Raccoons are just one of the reasons I decided that my kitties would live indoors. A raccoon can kill a cat easily. I don't like having the stray around, but being torn apart by a raccoon is not a fate I'd wish for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment