Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Rag Rug Progress



Day 24: The rag rug is progressing, albeit slowly due to shoulder issues. It's roughly half-done, and I'm thinking I may need to make a harsher review of my old t-shirts in order to have enough fabric for a 2' x 3' size. Why is it so difficult to toss old clothing? Unless the design commemorates some special event, there can't be an emotional attachment at work. Is it just our basic instinct to hoard, or is it because we can't bear to trash something which has been a part of our lives for a few years? Thinking ahead, I sorted my old jeans a few days ago: over-stretched elastic waistbands, ragged cuffs, stained knees, "skinnier-me" pants, and set to cutting them into inch-and-a-quarter rug strips. But why had I kept them instead of sending them off to a thrift shop? Don't get me wrong. I'm glad I didn't throw them out. I'm just curious about the psychology which made me bag them and tuck them away in the closet. I don't have enough strips for another rug yet, but at least I have a head start on the most tedious part of creating one.

No comments:

Post a Comment