Sunday, February 3, 2019

Let It Snow!


Day 113: Here in the Pacific Northwest, it's not uncommon for NOAA to predict snow right up 'til the last minute and then revise the forecast to rain, but this time, it looks like it may actually materialize. And I'll be glad to see it, even if it does restrict any plans I might have had for going to the store. I won't drive if there's snow on the ground unless there's a medical need (cats or me). That said, we're short on the white stuff here. Other than a very light dusting in November and a few sloppy flakes which didn't stick in early December, we've had no snow at all. Even at Longmire, there isn't much. When I was at work last week, it was only patchy on the ground. At higher altitudes, there's less than there should be, and this worries me. Certain plant species count on a period of total darkness to rest bulbs or prepare seeds for germination. When the snow pack is low, the light transmitted through it can be enough to prevent those species from sprouting the following summer. Of course, other factors figure into the equation for a "good" wildflower year as well and, when poor conditions combine, the wildflower season suffers. So let it snow! For the sake of the high meadows, I can do without that bottle of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment