Friday, March 15, 2019

Kidneys!


Day 153: Although everyone was remarking on "Pi Day" yesterday (3.14), Kevin informed me on our way to work that it was also World Kidney Day. Therefore, it was probably no surprise to him when, after finishing up with new volunteer applicants for the day, I announced that I was going on a kidney hunt in the campground. An upper-canopy lichen (in Longmire, anyway), I've found kidneys in only two locations when they were brought down by winter storms. The first (beside the access road) was easy to attain, but I failed to find the prize. The second site proved to be more challenging. With little hope of success (but determined to try), I set off toward the center of the campground, breaking through the crust of three to four feet of snow with every step. At first, I only went in to ankle-depth, but beyond the picnic shelter, the snow was softer and more often than not, I sank above my knees. I thought of my climbing years and the phrase which motivated me to many different summers, "just keep putting one foot in front of the other; another adjuration, "you're not going to get there by looking at it," every time my eyes went to the plowed portion of the road. It took me the better part of an hour to traverse the length of a football field, but no kidneys made themselves known. Back at the Community Building at long last, I set off toward my office disappointed with my efforts, but as I passed the spot where I'd found my first specimen of Nephroma helveticum, a small brown cluster caught my eye. Yep, kidneys, right where I'd first looked. Did I miss them on the first pass, or did they fall from the canopy in the intervening hour? I'll never know. But I do know this: postholing is one of the best ways to remind yourself that the only way to get through a bad patch is to just put your head down and keep plodding. Thanks, Kid...ney.

No comments:

Post a Comment