Saturday, April 27, 2019

Profiling Tussilago Farfara


Day 196: I was expecting to find the Usual Suspects during an invasive-plant patrol of Tilton River State Park two days ago. In patrols lower down the Tilton, I've found Japanese Knotweed and hybrid Knapweeds in abundant supply. I was not expecting to find Tussilago farfara, a relatively new invasive in western Washington, and one which we discovered in Mount Rainier National Park only a couple of years ago. That find was the first for Pierce County.

Tilton River State Park is undeveloped and has but a single unmaintained trail leading from Hwy 508 to the river. A plaque marks its establishment at a potholed one-car pullout beside the road. You'd miss it if you didn't know it was there. As such, it's quiet during most seasons, a private place to enjoy a quiet moment beside the river. The sandbar at the end of the trail is sullied by a few fire rings created by fishermen and (illegal) campers, but most notably, by the Knotweed which plagues much of the Tilton's run. Since I had not done a formal weed patrol here, I thought I should document the problem. My eye was set for the weeds I expected and predictably, I found them, but then as I turned to go back out on the trail, I saw the Tussilago, growing sporadically in an area roughly 50' in diameter. Experience with the species in the Park has taught me that it's almost impossible to eradicate by pulling or digging; every fragment of stolon is capable of generating a whole new plant. I was left with only one option: record it and report it to shift the onus of responsibility to Washington State Parks. Occurring here as it does, it has the potential to spread down-river into areas not accessible by the public, and may develop into a major issue unless property owners can be educated. Tussilago farfara is the "new kid on the block," just listed by the state in March 2018. In fact, one of my photos appears in King County's "Noxious Weeds" blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment