Sunday, April 28, 2019

Separating Sheep From Goats - Hatiora Vs. Rhipsalidopsis


Day 197: If you'll look back to my post of April 24, you'll find a discussion of "Spring Cactus," aka Rhipsalidopsis/Hatiora gaertneri. In it, I make an entirely unscientific assertion that "Hatiora" is inappropriate for the species based on morphological distinctions between the two; "unscientific" because modern taxonomy reflects DNA, not physical commonalities. Still, I will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the new terminology in this case because the differences in appearance are radical: my newly-acquired"Rhipsalidopsis" has broad foliage, upright blossoms and pointed, slender petals, quite unlike my "Hatiora" (still known as Hatiora rosea, and shown above) with its narrow segments and pendent flowers with rounded petals. In this instance only, I find myself in agreement with many botanists who are reluctant to accept taxonomic changes (a group which includes my good friend Arnie): if it doesn't look like a duck, walk like a duck or quack like a duck despite the fact that its DNA tells you it's a duck nevertheless, people are going to rebel against calling it a duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment