Friday, May 24, 2019

How Does Your Garden Grow?


Day 223: You cannot fault my flower beds for lack of colour. If my preferences lean toward blues and purples, it is deliberately not evident. Rather, the cool shades are dispersed throughout to complete the rainbow; not regimented, neither boundary nor in bounds. There are no tidy borders of shorter species, no insistence on "tall people in the back, please." Leaves fill in every hollow, peonies popping up through hellebore and columbine and the tangled straps of daffodils. It has taken me years to turn my colour gardens into unschooled chaos, to find just the right plant for this patch of poor soil or that. My flower beds are as close to a wildflower meadow as could be expected of tamed hybrids and commercial cultivars: motley, rampant and lush when at peak bloom. How does your garden grow?

No comments:

Post a Comment