Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Stay-At-Home Mom


Day 206: Mrs. Tree Swallow is a stay-at-home mom. After she has laid her clutch of eggs, she leaves the nest rarely to feed, her mate bringing the bulk of her food to her door. When the babies hatch, they are fed by both parents, although mainly by the female. I am happy to report that both of my nesting boxes are occupied again this year, and there is a constant flurry of activity around the houses as other potential renters check on availability. I wish I had more space, because although Tachycineta bicolor is more forgiving in its territorial boundaries than some other species of Swallow, they will not tolerate the paper-wasps which also like to build under the eaves. The nesting boxes are on the shady side of the garage where I can watch them from my kitchen window; all other locations where I might put additional housing are either too hot and sunny or are favoured by the infernal wasps. That said, even providing only two nesting boxes has kept birds from building in the peak of my carport, thereby saving me multiple car-washes each season.

No comments:

Post a Comment