Sunday, July 14, 2019

Jack's Lot


Day 274: An unseasonably wet June conspired with Park duties and other commitments to keep me from getting out in the kayak until yesterday and naturally, my first priority was to check on my "kids" at Lake St. Clair. The original Sundew Island (a bit of dock gone astray) has long since disappeared, but the colonies on one homeowner's breakwater logs are vigorous and spreading. I call them Jack's Lot, Jack being the homeowner under discussion. True to form, he spotted me taking photos and hollered down from his deck, "How they doin'?" "Fine, Jack!" I shouted back. "They're in bloom. I'm getting some new photos for a talk I'll be giving in the Park next month." After repeated encounters with me, Jack now realizes that he has something very special in his care, so he replied, "Don't tell anybody about them! They're our little secret!" I gave him my assurance, as if he really needed it.

Drosera rotundifolia (Round-leaved Sundew) has disappeared from one location within the boundaries of Mount Rainier National Park, shaded out by the encroachment of young alders. I have never visited the second Park site where this insectivorous plant is known to occur, so cannot speak for the population there. In the longer view, Sundews are relatively rare in Washington overall. A second species (Drosera anglica) has been reported from a tight handful of locations in the state. Some day, I hope to see it as well. That said, the surprise of unexpectedly coming across rotundifolia in the field while on an ordinary kayak trip is one I will never forget: a snap of my head toward a blur of red and an uncontrolled vocal outburst of "Is that Sundews!?" The sudden recognition of a species I had only dreamed of finding was most certainly one of the high points of my botanical career. You can have your birthdays and anniversaries. These are my Life Events.

No comments:

Post a Comment