Monday, July 15, 2019

Networking


Day 275: Unfortunately, I can't give a positive ID on this slime mold, but I believe it to be Leocarpus fragilis in the early stages of its feeding cycle. I base that supposition on two factors: colour, and having observed Leocarpus in the same general area previously; not very scientific, I know, but the best I can do on short notice. At the point when this photo was taken, the plasmodium was in migration toward the food source present on the branch running diagonally across the right side of the image. Recognizing the activity (if not the species), I was more than a little apprehensive about kneeling down on the forest floor beside it. If some fine morning, I get up to find my kitchen engulfed in orange slime mold, I won't question where it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment