Saturday, August 24, 2019

Kitty Cathedral


Day 315: While nosing around YouTube a few weeks back, I discovered a video which promised a quick and easy way to make a Cathedral Window quilt using a sewing machine for the entire assembly. Having made one small Cathedral Window quilt by hand, I swore I'd never go down that path again; folding cloth origami and getting good meets is not as easy as it sounds. The video showed how to make a single window panel for a pillow and then suggested that multiple squares could be joined to make a full quilt if care was taken in the laying-out process. I thought I could see how it was done, so a few days ago, I dived into the stash of kitty prints I've been accumulating over the years and settled in to cutting squares. They could have been made any size, but I chose to cut them at four inches in order to accommodate the largest of eighteen different prints.

The first single-window block went well, so I made 32 more squares and joined them in two strips of 16 each, the width of my proposed quilt. It wasn't until I had made the third strip that I realized I'd joined Part A to Part C with no regard for Part B (the offset row) in the middle. Out came the seam ripper, and after much bad language, I took another look at the pattern I'd graphed. Oh, yeah...kinda missed that step, didn't I? Setback aside, the squares progressed much more quickly than I'd anticipated, so between yesterday and today, I made three new 16-square strips and joined them in the proper order. The kitty prints shown here are only pinned in place for the photo. They will be stitched in place with the machine when the batting and backing are added, and then an edge binding will be applied and bingo, the quilt will be ready for use!

No comments:

Post a Comment