Thursday, September 5, 2019

Male Mariposa Copper, Lycaena Mariposa


Day 327: A fairly unremarkable butterfly as far as wing patterns go, there were enough of them flitting around the Cascade Asters on the Naches Loop that I felt I could safely conclude that I wasn't just seeing faded individuals. As to the butterflies' true identity, I didn't have a clue. My "best guesses" turn out wrong 50% of the time when I submit them to BugGuide.net, so I've even stopped speculating and simply label them as "unknown" until one of the experts responds, and "book education" seems to be doing no good with respect to improving my skills. I was bemoaning that fact as I moved along the trail, stopping now and then to take another photo, when a butterfly net appeared in my field of view. It was followed by a second, borne in the hands of two Cascade Butterfly Survey volunteers who quickly provided the names and sexes of the species I'd photographed during my hike, including this male Mariposa Copper (Lycaena mariposa). Now there's a thought: sign up for the training next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment