Friday, September 6, 2019

The Golden Hoard



Day 328: I went gold-mining on my way home from work yesterday and found a pretty good seam. It's still a little early for Chanterelles, but by the time I'd added a few more to this pile, I felt I had enough to share with a Park friend who had expressed a desire to try wild 'shrooms. I drove back up to the office to deliver them, only to discover that he'd gone home early. I was unable to reach him at home, so entrusted his share of the Golden Hoard to Kevin, trusting that they would not mysteriously disappear before reaching their intended destination. That said, I could tell by the glint in his eye that Kevin is hoping the scales will balance against his thoughtful produce-share contributions as the season progresses. He's kept me in veg this summer, and I hope to repay with a fungal feast or two.

Chicken and Chanterelles
Cut chicken breasts into one-inch cubes. Slice chanterelles to 1/4" thick, and cut into larger ones into pieces, leaving some of the small buttons whole. Fry unbreaded chicken and a healthy dollop of minced garlic in a small amount of shortening until the chicken is almost done, stirring to brown on all sides. Add chanterelles and cook until tender, but be sure some liquid remains in the pain. In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until you have roughly three tablespoons of flour/water paste. Add a little of the hot mushroom liquid to the paste, and then simultaneously add the paste and 1/4 cup milk to the chicken and 'shrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment