Thursday, November 28, 2019

Schizophyllum Commune, Split-Gill Fungus


Day 46: I raised my leg to step over the log, looked down to be sure I wasn't going to scrape off any lichens or moss, and there it was. "Schizophyllum commune!" I said, rather loudly for being in a quiet forest. "Well, that just made my day!" I'd already scored with an Usnea I thought was new to my Life List (see my post from the 26th), and hadn't expected to find anything else exciting along the "bunny trail" I'd decided to follow. Nisqually State Park is proving quite productive as far as botany, lichenology and mycology go. I have yet to find a new slime mold there, but we'll have to see what next year brings.

As for Schizophyllum, look closely at the top image and you'll see how it got its common name of Split-Gill Fungus. It releases its spores from splits which develop along the length of each gill when fully mature. When Schiz first starts to grow, you might pass it over as "just another bracket fungus." The young fans demonstrate zonal colouration in shades of brown. I had never observed the species in as many stages of development as this one log provided. Young brackets, looking ever so much like Turkey-tail (in honour of Thanksgiving, of course) wouldn't have given me reason to look more closely. What inspired me to explore the log more intimately was the bracket in the lower right image which is just beginning to grow its "fur" from its point of attachment. Who knew? I have not encountered a species description anywhere which covers the early growth phases in any depth. So, I give you for Thanksgiving that for which I am most grateful in my life: the joy and thrill of discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment