Sunday, December 29, 2019

A Melanelia Among Usneas


Day 77: I am not sufficiently well-versed in distinguishing one Melanelia from another in the field to say positively that this is Melanelia fuliginosa (Shiny Camouflage Lichen), but it is either that or Melanelia/Melanelixia subaurifera. I lean toward M. fuliginosa because it was decidedly "shiny" compared to other species I have observed. In any event, it is one of only a few lichens which exhibit this particular brown colouration, and in either case, it may be tinged with orange or be somewhat closer to "Army green." It will be closely attached to its substrate, generally deciduous or coniferous tree bark, but also occasionally on acidic rock. Microscopic examination would reveal branched cylindrical isidia, but then I didn't bring a sample home. 'Sokay, I know where it lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment