Monday, December 30, 2019

Mossyrock Dam From Dunn Cemetery



Day 78: I'm of two minds about geocaching, and largely, the side of me which disapproves of "licensed littering" wins out. I no longer place caches and pulled all of my old ones, not wanting to leave a legacy of metal and plastic containers in the woods. However, I do still enjoy the search, although I no longer feel compelled to find every single one within any given radius of my home. There are a few nearby which I know I'll never get, simply because I have too much respect for my car to take it on logging roads. These days, I usually wait until more than one new cache pops up in an area before I'll make a foray. Such was the case yesterday when I went out to find three. One of them took me to a spot I didn't know existed: Dunn Cemetery, a small county cemetery overlooking Riffe Lake from west of Mossyrock Dam. Below the dam, the Cowlitz River continues its meander toward an eventual junction with the mighty Columbia, miles below yet another reservoir (Mayfield Lake) at Mayfield. Hydro power is produced by both dams as well as another further upstream at Lake Scanewa. "Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't" might well be the lament of the salmon which used to have a strong native run in these waters. Nowadays, farmed fish are the rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment