Thursday, January 9, 2020

Ocean, Meet Teaspoon


Day 88: It begins: the 2020 version of dipping the ocean dry with a teaspoon. My first Douglas squirrel of the year showed up on New Year's Day, or at least that was what I thought I had seen with the tail of my eye, dashing for cover under the hellebore. I wasn't certain until day before yesterday when I inadvertently surprised one in the bird feeder. It leapt out, narrowly missing my face in its haste. I went immediately to the garage for the Hav-a-Hart live trap, and then remembered that a friend had sent me a smaller double-door version which she'd never used. I didn't really realize how much smaller it was until I set them up side by side. Doogie didn't show himself until some time in the night or early this morning when his plans for feeder domination were foiled by the Squirrel Trapper Pursuivant. Prisoner No. 1 is slated for transport to Mineral later this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment