Saturday, April 18, 2020

Little Baby Lettuces

Day 188: Look carefully in the foreground. Those are the cotyledon leaves of little baby lettuces, courtesy of the sister-of-my-heart who lives clear across the country in New Hampshire.

Y'see, I zigged when I should have zagged. A few days before the first cases of COVID-19 appeared in a Kirkland WA nursing home, I was in town shopping. I wandered past the vegetable seed displays and said to myself, "Nah, it's too early yet. I'll get seeds in a couple of weeks." I wasn't expecting to be staying at home, trying to insulate myself against a dangerous disease. I thought life was going to continue normally, as did we all.

Because I am in two high-risk groups (my age, and the fact that I had pneumonia two years ago), I am not venturing out of my own neighbourhood, not for any reason. Some friends think I'm over-reacting, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, as the saying goes. However, my self-enforced isolation has put a substantial dent in my plans for the garden this year, and after bemoaning that fact to Patty, I found four packets of lettuce seed in my mailbox a few days later, shipped from far-away New Hampshire where a stay-at-home order was not in place at the time. There may not be any tomatoes to add to my salad, but at least I'll have greens and, if I'm lucky and tend them assiduously, the blueberries, raspberries and kiwi fruit should bear as well. With time on my hands, I'll have no excuse for letting the weeds grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment